The term “money laundering” applies to a wide range of activities involving the disguising or transfer of criminal proceeds in the form of cash or other assets. Anyone who transfers, converts or disguises criminal property is considered guilty if they knew or suspected that they were dealing with proceeds of criminal activity.
However, ignorance is not always innocence, as companies and individuals are expected to practice due diligence and report suspicious activity. Failure to comply with these obligations may result in criminal liability or regulatory penalties.
Our experienced solicitors are used to advising and representing clients facing prosecution and investigations for money laundering offences. We will work with leading barristers and accountancy experts to challenge the evidence and provide a realistic strategy from the outset to give you the best possible outcome.
BMS Solicitors are able to offer advice, guidance and representation for the following issues:
- Making Suspicious Activity Reports (SARs)
- Challenging restraint orders
- Money laundering compliance procedures
- Regulatory obligations
- Regulatory / civil proceedings for inadequate AML systems or failure to report
- Obtaining consent to process transactions
- Unexplained Wealth Orders